5 Factors Of Proper Contact Lens Cleaning
Being hygienic is one of the most crucial factors when it comes to taking care of our eyes. It helps to avoid eye infections and other conditions that affect not only the health of your eyes in the short term but also your long term vision.
While using contact lenses, you must be cautious and religiously follow eye care instructions as recommended by your eye care practitioner. Luckily, it's not that complicated.
Your contact lenses require a proper care routine. Before delving further into the proper techniques of cleaning contact lenses, remember that you should not switch/change your eye care regime without seeking the advice of your optometrist first. Some products may not be compatible with other products or with certain types of contact lenses.
Subsequently, it can have adverse effects on your contact lenses and, sometimes, even your eyes.
Factors To Keep In Mind While Cleaning Contact Lenses
Wash your hands first
Always wash your hands with soap & water before handling contact lenses. And dry your hands completely.
Rub the lenses gently
Place three drops of lens solution on each side of the lens surface and gently rub for 10 seconds each side.
Rinse with contact lens solution
Thoroughly rinse the lenses from each side, for five seconds with the lens solution.
Soak the lenses to remove/kill microorganisms
Place lenses in the clean case and fill it with lens solution. You must soak the contact lenses for at least 4 to 6 hours.
Remember to use fresh solution every time
Always use fresh solution. Do not reuse it. Usually, when you use a multi-purpose lens care solution, there is no need to use any other eye lens care products for additional cleaning.
Do's and Don'ts While Cleaning Your Contact Lenses
Here are some do's and don'ts for cleaning your contact lenses thoroughly and the logic behind them.
- Wash hands with soap and dry your hands before you touch your contact lenses.
- Every time you remove lenses from your eyes, Rub your contacts with your fingers with few drops of contact lens cleaning solution and later rinse them with fresh cleaning solution.
- Make a habit of using fresh cleaning solution for your contact lenses each time you store them in the lens case.
- Once you have applied your contact lenses, ensure you rinse your contact lens case with fresh solution,
- Once you have rinsed your contact lenses case with fresh solution, leave it open and overturned for it to dry.
- Change your contact lenses regularly, as prescribed by your eye care practitioner.
- Never use tap water or any other form of liquid except the prescribed contact lens cleaning solution.
- Never cleanse your lens case with water and also do not leave it in humid places as it allows the infestation of germs.
Additional tips to keep your contact lenses clean and fresh:
- Do not transfer your cleaning solution into smaller containers when travelling. It compromises the sterility of the cleaning solution.
- Always make sure that your solution container is capped tightly, and that it avoids any contact with other surfaces or objects.
Multi-Purpose Lens Care Solutions For Cleaning, Rinsing And Disinfecting Contact Lenses
Multi-purpose lens care solutions pack the benefits of cleaning, rinsing, disinfecting and storing your contact lenses. Bausch+Lomb offers the following soft lens multi-purpose lens care solutions:
- Biotrue multi-purpose solution
Biotrue multi-purpose lens care solution was developed following an intensive study on how the eye works naturally to hydrate, clean, and keep itself healthy. Biotrue solution matches the pH of healthy tears by utilizing a lubricant found naturally in the eyes and keeping certain beneficial protein tears active. The solution cleans, conditions, removes protein build-up, disinfects, rinses and stores different types of contact lenses, including silicone hydrogel lenses.
- renu advanced formula multi-purpose solution
renu Advanced Formula Multi-Purpose Solution has a unique triple disinfectant system to remove 99.9% of germs renu Advanced is suitable for daily cleaning of the contact lenses and helps prevent the formation of deposits on the lenses. Furthermore, renu Advanced solution delivers up to 20 hours of moisture, all-day wearing comfort – courtesy its dual surfactants.
- renu fresh multi-purpose solution
renu fresh multi-purpose solution is proven suitable to clean contact lenses, fight germs, and remove irritating protein deposits daily. You can use renu fresh multi-purpose solution with all types of contact lenses.
Follow Instructions Thoroughly
When you buy contact lenses, they come with contact lens cases, its cleaning solution and your eye care professional's instructions and recommendations. The packaging is designed to deliver the best eye care and performance for your visual aid and its care. Visiting your eye care practitioner regularly will make sure that your eyes stay healthy and problem-free. Bausch+Lomb contact lens care products offer easy to follow and effective solutions that clean, rinse, and disinfect (store) your contact lenses, keeping them fresh. Explore our range of advanced lens care that is inspired by the biology of eyes.
3 Specifically Designed Contact Lenses For Patients Aged 40 And Above
Most people, after the age of 40, start to notice a few changes in their vision. Typically, it is at age 40 to 45, where most people’s eyes begin to lose
8 Smart Hygiene Habits for Contact Lens Wearers
There's no denying in the fact that contact lenses are one of the most convenient and comfortable tools to Know More